Breaking News

The smoke detector went off in Nu Complex on Oct. 1 at 9:47 p.m. A first responder said that the alarm was caused by someone smoking in their room.

Campus Safety officers arrived at Nu at 9:52 p.m. A St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue truck arrived at 9:55 p.m. Three St. Petersburg firefighters went up to handle the issue. 

Junior Nu resident Calvin Bolon said he did not see or hear anything that may have caused the alarm to go off. 

At 9:59 p.m. the alarm stopped. According to a firefighter leaving the scene, someone was smoking in the room which set of the alarm. 

A campus safety officer said that the alarm went off in one of the Nu suite's study room.

This story is still developing.

Managing Editor

Claire is a junior majoring in political science and minoring in journalism. She loves watching Marvel movies and longboarding.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.