A rooftop air conditioning unit triggered the fire alarm at the CEC cafe on April 4 when one of its belts caught fire. No one was hurt or in the building when the unit malfunctioned.
The CEC’s fire alarm went off at 8:11 p.m., according to the fire report authorized by the acting officer of the incident Daniel D. Shanks. At 8:15 p.m., the first of the fire department trucks arrived.
A light haze was found inside the building with no obvious initial source. At 8:18 p.m. the fire department upgraded the call to a structural fire.
Five suppression units, one emergency medical service and two other units were present with 17 personnel. They climbed to the roof on ladders, ventilated with a positive pressure ventilator and a fan, and turned the A/C units off.
They then found the A/C unit with the burned belt.
At 9:02 p.m. the last emergency vehicle left. Remaining repairs were then left to Eckerd maintenance.