A rooftop air conditioning unit triggered the fire alarm at the CEC cafe on April 4 when one of its belts caught fire. No one was hurt or in the building when the unit malfunctioned.

The CEC’s fire alarm went off at 8:11 p.m., according to the fire report authorized by the acting officer of the incident Daniel D. Shanks. At 8:15 p.m., the first of the fire department trucks arrived.

A light haze was found inside the building with no obvious initial source. At 8:18 p.m. the fire department upgraded the call to a structural fire.

Five suppression units, one emergency medical service and two other units were present with 17 personnel. They climbed to the roof on ladders, ventilated with a positive pressure ventilator and a fan, and turned the A/C units off.

They then found the A/C unit with the burned belt.

At 9:02 p.m. the last emergency vehicle left. Remaining repairs were then left to Eckerd maintenance.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.